Andrei was born and raised professionally in the Agile era, with multi-industry experience: banking, real-estate, telecom, insurance, internet security and marketing throughout a handful of platforms: back-end, front-end, mobile & desktop. He has always found himself challenging state of the art of Software Development, classical QA and testing approaches, throughout the different activities he has engaged with: from manual to automation testing, handling product functional to non-functional requirements, executing to architect solutions implementations, leading platform initiatives and leading QA departments and activities.
In an EverythingAsCode context, Quality professionals should expand their reach and go beyond functional tests. Our CI/CD Pipelines are prone to introduce defects, are we testing them enough?
CI/CD Pipelines are already part of our code bases – compiling, testing, creating images, deploying, handling environment variables, reporting and are no longer just a series of simple cascaded actions: they have outputs, if statements, functions. They are complex. A recent study in the industry concluded that testing early becomes less useful as infrastructure complexity rises. And they are right. That’s why we need to shift left to also test the infrastructure and bring in test automation.
This is a highly practical session, we will:
– Discuss the evolution of CI solutions and how we have arrived to need this today.
– Take a popular CI/CD cloud solution (eg: Github Actions) and understand a simple predefined CI/CD workflow.
– Design and execute one manual Test Case for it.
– Automate that test case in a real CI workflow (using the Github Action Test Automation Framework which I’ve built to solve the same problem for myself: https://github.com/therussiankid92/gat)
– Talk about tips & tricks for developing testable CI/CD Pipelines.
What will be discussed here can be applied to any tech stack, not just for the one mentioned, as the philosophy behind the idea is the same.
After attending the session, participants will be much more comfortable with:
Previous knowledge on what is a CI/CD Pipeline will be an advantage.